June 11, 2018

What’s Special in the Rainy Season?

The rainy season has come. This is the beginning of a hot and humid summer - a Japanese summer! Have you experienced it before? According to the weather forecast, it will be a hotter summer this year than last.

Anyway, I feel like eating something sour in this hot and humid season. After I talk about this topic to friends from a variety of places, I realise that more sour taste lovers exist in this country than in many other places. At least that is my point of view.

I think that to eat sour and vinegary food is not only good for a change but also may help keep us very healthy.

At this time of year, in the vegetable corner of supermarkets or vegetable stores, we can see Ume-plum, Rakkyo, Shiso and Shin Shoga (young ginger). Whenever I find these vegetables, I realize the rainy season has been coming and it’s time to prepare for a humid summer. I make time and buy a large bottle of vinegar to make pickles and juice. I pickle Rakkyo and Shin Shoga in sweetened vinegar and wait three to seven days. Pickled Rakkyo and Shin Shoga can be kept for a year, if you fasten the cap on the jar tightly.  In the early years, these foods were always preserved. You could see pickled Rakkyo beside the curry rice dish, and Sliced Shin Shoga that is called ‘Gari’ in Japanese and offered with Sushi. These things will make your mouth and body feel refreshed. These foods also go well with beer or sake.

 Ume-boshi is also made in this season. Ume-boshi is pickled with salt and tastes very sour. In addition, we make plum wine, plum juice and Shiso juice. Every day I check the color and smell. Sometimes I shake the jars containing the plum and shiso. This daily care may be meaningful . I believe that greeting my jars gives it a good flavor. This is my secret pleasure in this season.

How do you spend this season?


(by Naoko)



How do you like the healthful summer eating habit of Japan? If you like it, you can experience them in our Course C. Please contact us from here and join our free walking tours!   

No comments:

Post a Comment